When we decided to go around the world 12 months ago, we of course had the question of the budget allocated to air tickets and transport that landed. Now that we travel from 8 months, it's time to take a first look at this important part of a world tour.
During a long trip, there are different types of approaches when it comes to booking air tickets, I would rather say there are two great schools on the question:
- Either we reserve all trips before departure in accordance with a planning country by country or continent by continent:
- Book yourself all air tickets in accordance with the planned route with more or less flexibility (editable / non-modifiable) depending on the route.
- Book a "round the world ticket" by specialized travel agency
- Book a "world tour ticket" by one of the major airline alliances (Oneworld, StarAlliance, Skyteam)
- Either we do not reserve in advance, and we reserve as and when
All booking solutions in advance were not suitable for our travel plan. Indeed we could not have booked all the tickets in advance, because most airlines open only 12 months in advance the tickets to the reservation, besides the tickets round the world sold by the grand alliances are also valid only for a maximum duration of 12 months from the first flight. On the other hand, round the world tickets sold by alliances are usually overpriced, at a minimum 2000 EUR for 5-6 flights. Quickly + 3000 / 4000 EUR for more than 10 flights.
As for travel agencies selling turnkey tickets around the world, they display very competitive prices in storefront: 750 € TTC seen at a minimum! However this ticket is valid for a trip of a duration of 5-9 months, with departures only between October and November, and only 4 flights are included in the offer. It is true that physically you go around the world! But when you want to make a quote tailored with these travel agencies, the bill climbs very quickly. The modifiable aspect of the dates of flights remains nevertheless a not insignificant comfort, still it is necessary to read well the general conditions of the sales.
So we naturally chose the option 2 allowing us to book as we travel. So we booked our first flight 4 months before the big departure. And we try to keep between 2 and 5 months in advance for all long-haul plane tickets reservations. We have arrived to book trips less than a month in advance, but this remains for short distance: less than 2h flight. We have also flown on a lot of low-cost Ryanair airlines, even for long haul flights (Jetstar in Australia, FlyScoot in Greece and Singapore)
Here is a table summarizing the airline tickets we bought and their prices:
and the quality of their
|Price / person|
|Corfu||Athens||Sky Express||⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||69 €|
|Hoh Chi Minh City||Phuket||VietAirJet||⭐️⭐️⭐️||63 €|
|Bangkok||Chiang Mai||AirAsia||⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||45 €|
|Phnom Penh||Columbo||AirAsia||⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||150 €|
|Package 4 flights multidestinations:|
|Indigo||Not flown yet||157 €|
|Package 2 flights multidestinations:|
Mahé - Seychelles
Mahé - Seychelles
|Etihad Airways||Not flown yet||295 €|
|Zanzibar||Paris Roissy||Oman Air||Not flown yet||437 €|
|Paris Roissy||Cayenne||Air France||Not flown yet||185 € + 29000 miles Flying Blue|
|Cayenne||Fortaleza||Blue||Not flown yet||244 €|
|Salvador||Bogota||Avianca||Not flown yet||280 €|
|TOTAL||58837km||36556 thousands||22 flights||2804 €|
It is of course missing one the ticket to return somewhere at the end of the trip. However we do not know yet where we are going after the trip!
Some tips for your future flights planning around the world:
- Always favor direct flights where with a stopover of less than 5-6h max, we have never made more than one stop to go from point A to point B, less tiring and always more comfortable!
- Discover the direct destinations where with a stopover of an airport with google Flight!
- Be flexible on dates! Use Kayak and their search engine +/- 3 days, great tool!
- Adapting your itinerary according to prices, we have added Seychelles and Sri Lanka to our world tour, partly because of the attractive rates of flights to these destinations for our dates. So we removed Malaysia! We will visit this country later ...
- Book 2-5 months in advance for long-haul
- Look for multi destination combinations, even with starting points, different from finish points (eg Kochi - Goa // Goa - Pune // Pune - Amritsar // Jaipur - Mumbai) cheaper than booking 4 one way trips. Some companies have very different pricing methods and we can have a good surprise!
- Watch for low cost flights from local airlines, sometimes cheaper than 10-15h buses for short destinations
- Traveling on weekdays and outside school holidays in the country of departure, as in the country of arrival, you will save a lot of money on it.
Have a nice trip !!!