When we decided to go around the world 12 months ago, we questioned ourselves of the budget allocated to flight tickets and transportation. Now that we have been traveling for 8 months, it is time to take a first look at what we spent in air fares.
During a long trip, there are different types of approaches when it comes to booking flight tickets, I would rather say there are two schools on the topic:
- Either we reserve all trips before departure in accordance with a planning country by country or continent by continent:
- Book yourself all flight tickets in accordance with the planned route with more or less flexibility ( refundable / cancellable / non-modifiable) depending on the route.
- Book a "world tour ticket" by specialized travel agency
- Book a "world tour ticket" by one of the major airline alliances (Oneworld, StarAlliance, Skyteam)
- Either you do not book in advance, and we reserve step by step along your journey
All the advance booking solutions were not suitable for our travel plan. We could not have booked all the tickets in advance, because most airlines open only 12 months in advance the tickets to the reservation, as well as the "world tour tickets" sold by the airline alliances are also valid only for a maximum duration of 12 months starting from the first flight. On the other hand, "world tour tickets" sold by alliances are usually overpriced, at a minimum 2000 EUR for 5-6 flights. Quickly + 3000 / 4000 EUR for more than 10 flights.
Talking about specialized travel agencies selling "world tour tickets", they display very competitive retail prices on the front door window of shop/website : 750 € TTC seen at a minimum! However this ticket is valid for a trip of a duration of 5-9 months, with departures only between October and November, and only 4 flights are included in this particular offer. It is true that physically you go around the world! But when you want to make a special quote with these travel agencies with your wishes, the bill jump quickly. The modifiable aspect of the dates of flights remains nevertheless a nice comfort, but again it is necessary to read well the terms and conditions.
So we naturally chose the second option allowing us to book as we travel. So we booked our first flight 2 months before the big departure. And we try to keep between 4 and 2 months advance booking for all long-haul flight tickets. It happenned ( and will )to book trips less than a month in advance, but this is for short distance flights: less than 5h. We have also flown on a lot of low-cost airlines, even for long haul flights (Jetstar in Australia, FlyScoot in Greece and Singapore)
Here is a table summarizing the airline tickets we bought and their prices:
and the quality of their
|Price / person|
|Corfu||Athens||Sky Express||⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||69 €|
|Hoh Chi Minh City||Phuket||VietAirJet||⭐️⭐️⭐️||63 €|
|Bangkok||Chiang Mai||AirAsia||⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||45 €|
|Phnom Penh||Columbo||AirAsia||⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||150 €|
|Package 4 flights multidestinations:|
|Indigo||Not flown yet||157 €|
|Package 2 flights multidestinations:|
Mahé - Seychelles
Mahé - Seychelles
|Etihad Airways||Not flown yet||295 €|
|Zanzibar||Paris Roissy||Oman Air||Not flown yet||437 €|
|Paris Roissy||Cayenne||Air France||Not flown yet||185 € + 29000 miles Flying Blue|
|Cayenne||Fortaleza||blue||Not flown yet||244 €|
|Salvador||Bogota||Avianca||Not flown yet||280 €|
|TOTAL||58837km||36556 thousands||22 flights||2804 €|
It is of course missing one the ticket to return somewhere at the end of the trip. However we do not know yet where we are going after the trip!
Some tips for your future flights planning around the world:
- Always choose direct flights or with one stopover of less than 5-6h max, we have never made more than one stop to go from point A to point B, less tiring and always more comfortable!
- Discover the direct destinations or with one stopover of a given airport with Google Flight!
- Be flexible on dates! Use Kayak and their search engine +/- 3 days, great tool!
- Adapting your itinerary according to prices, we have added Seychelles and Sri Lanka to our world tour, partly because of the attractive rates of flights to these destinations for our dates. So we removed Malaysia! We will visit this country later ...
- Book 2-5 months in advance for long-haul flights
- Look for multi destination combinations, even with starting points, different from arrivals points (eg Kochi - Goa // Goa - Pune // Pune - Amritsar // Jaipur - Mumbai) cheaper than booking 4 one way trips. Some companies have very different pricing methods and you can have a good surprise!
- Watch for low cost flights from local airlines, sometimes cheaper than 10-15h buses for short destinations
- Traveling on weekdays and out of school holidays for the country of departure, as well as for the country of arrival, you will save a lot of money on it.
Have a nice trip !!!